A little fun at the expense of chaos on Twitter didn’t hurt anyone. While Elon Musk is reportedly busy calling on leaders to stay on board amid mass resignations, goodbye meme galore on Twitter, with one saying it was like “the Titanic falling.”
November is not only proving brutal for the social network, but also for Amazon, which has begun laying off some 10,000 employees and has plans for more job cuts next year, chief executive Andy Jassy told employees. According to Layoffs.fyi, more than 120,000 tech workers have been laid off this year.
Meanwhile, the government has published the draft of a new personal data protection bill aimed at protecting digital personal data, allowing data transfers outside of India and providing penalties for data breaches.
On another front, to ensure that financial influencers, or ‘finfluencers’, post real information on social media, the Securities Exchange Board of India is reportedly drafting guidelines for them in light of advice from Unsolicited social media ‘shares’.
ICYMI: Even a Boeing 747 can land at the upcoming Donyi Polo airport in Arunachal Pradesh, which will connect the state with the rest of the country. The world is definitely getting smaller!
In today’s newsletter, we’ll talk about
- Mumbai’s date with punjabi food
- Unlimited age for Zepto founders
- Building a D2C Ethnic Clothing Brand
Here’s your trivia for today: Where is the highest railway bridge in the world?
Mumbai’s date with punjabi food
While India may have been introduced to butter chicken in the 1950s, it was the famed Pritam da Dhaba that introduced the original iconic dish to Mumbai.
Celebrating its 80th year of operation, the Dadar, Mumbai restaurant has a rich legacy: it was the city’s first air-conditioned restaurant, was launched by Raj Kapoor and recently opened a second location in Juhu.
- Pritam da Dhaba has been frequented by celebrities like Madhubala, Meena Kumari, Dilip Kumar, Rekha and Sridevi.
- it’s iconic kaali dal it actually has no butter and is simmered for over 14 hours to achieve a creamy consistency.
- The owners run another 20 restaurants under the same umbrella, including Ginkgo, Tertulia, Grandmama’s Café, MRP, and Tori’s.
Tech Sparks 2022
Unlimited age for Zepto founders
While Zepto co-founders Kaivalya Vohra and Aadit Palicha may only be 20 years old, age is no deterrent for founders who have real conviction about their idea to start.
“We think the product will be exciting and change the way people shop for food today, so rather than our personal progress, we’re more concerned with how to make Zepto a bigger player in people’s minds.” Kaivalya said in your history Tech Sparks 2022.
- The IIFL Wealth Hurun India Rich List 2022 named Kaivalya and Aadit as the youngest rich people in India.
- Starting Zepto as teenagers, the founders dropped out of Stanford to pursue their entrepreneurial dreams.
- While they don’t have decades of experience, Aadit said it helps that they’re building a product that no one has built before.
Building a D2C Ethnic Clothing Brand
Femina Miss India 2016 first runner-up Sushruthi Krishna and actress Samatha Prabhu saw that the ethnic clothing market in India was unorganized. So, they started Saaki in 2020 to offer consumers premium quality ethnic clothing at affordable prices.
Two years later, the Bangalore-based label has established itself as a multi-billion dollar brand serving clients across India through its D2C website.
- Saaki’s SKUs range from Rs 2,300 to Rs 2,800, and it offers a range of kurtis, kurtas, sarees, tops, tunics, underwear, dresses, crop tops, etc.
- The brand has served around 60,000 customers in India.
- It’s also available in more than 15 countries, including the US, UK, and Australia. Around 25% of its income comes from international sales.
- Cost of living: Japan’s inflation has risen to its highest level in 40 years as a weak yen pushed up commodity prices. Core consumer inflation, which excludes volatile fresh food prices, rose 3.6% in October compared to a year earlier.
- Breakthrough: A biologic therapy that delays the onset of type 1 diabetes has received US Food and Drug Administration approval. Intravenous infusion of Tzield has been shown to delay progression to diabetes by just over two years complete.
- Silver shines: Global demand for silver is expected to rise 16% this year to 1.21 billion ounces, according to the Silver Institute. While demand in India has nearly doubled by 2022, automakers are using the metal to produce electric vehicles, while solar panels account for 10% of demand.
What you should keep in mind
- Banking services at public sector banks may be affected due to a strike.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the first greenfield airport in Arunachal Pradesh.
Where is the highest railway bridge in the world?
Answer: Indian. The Chenab Railway Bridge between Bakkal and Kauri in Jammu and Kashmir over the Chenab River stands at an elevation of 359 meters (1,178 ft).
We would love to hear from you! To let us know what you liked and didn’t like about our newsletter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you still do not receive this newsletter in your inbox, sign up here. For previous issues of YourStory Buzz, you can check out our Daily Capsule Page Here.